September 11th, 2019
London, United Kingdom
This is an inhouse role based at our London head office, Chiswell Street and supporting our London and Major Projects Business Units.
Your overall job purpose is to provide support to the preconstruction and operation teams using 3D BIM & 2D CAD software and to create, analyse and communicate project information to key stakeholders. You will be using the latest BIM software to review and improve the visual communication of works. You will be using the latest technologies to add value and de‐risk project delivery. This is a technical role using lots of different BIM software packages and digital workflows.
Working alongside and providing support to the business BIM and Digital Lead, the BIM technician will play a key role championing the use of BIM at McLaren, upskilling staff and developing the business’ digital capabilities and capacity. The role requires technical ability, attention to detail, willingness to learn and research new technologies, the ability to manage your own workload and work to demanding deadlines. It is a new role at McLaren which can evolve as the individual gains experience and an understanding of the different aspects of design, construction and BIM.
Responsibilities of the role will include producing visuals for tender submissions, assisting with technical design and programme checks, monitoring BIM delivery to ensure the McLaren processes are followed and project requirements are met.
- Interest in BIM & digital engineering
- Basic understanding of design process and documentation.
- Ability to interpret architectural, structural and MEP drawings.
- Attention to detail and a thorough and methodical approach
- Assist in developing technical solutions at either tender stage or during PCSAs
- Ability to identify design risk and scope gaps
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to produce customer facing reports and presentations
- Inquisitive nature to research and learn new software skills, actively looks for better ways of doing things.
Qualifications / Experiences:
- Degree related subject: architectural technologist, architect, structural engineer.
- An understanding of Sketch Up, In Design, Illustrator, Photoshop, Acrobat, Autocad, Revit, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft PowerPoint
- Technical construction understanding.
- Understanding of BIM standards, process, roles and responsibilities.
- Working knowledge of BS1192:2007, experience using project CDEs
- Knowledge of the tendering process and various procurement routes
- Experience producing 3D models and data input using Autodesk Revit or similar BIM software.
- Working knowledge of BIM software for either model authoring, rendering, object modelling, federation or clash detection.