6 February, 2019
London, United Kingdom
McLaren requires a Senior Estimator to join our highly successful business based out of our office in Chiswell Street, London.
The ideal candidate will have knowledge in all aspects of the estimator role with a proven track record of securing tenders within £20m- £100m+ range for a main contractor previously. As senior estimator you will report directly to the Estimating Director and be responsible for formulating and pricing tender opportunities by implementing estimating and cost strategies on wide range of diverse projects across a range of clients.
This is an excellent opportunity for the right candidate to work for a highly reputable privately-owned main contractor where you will be recognised and rewarded accordingly for the contributions you make to the team. McLaren are an equal opportunities employer and are focused on facilitating opportunities for career progression and promotion of a good work-life balance.
- Reviewing as part of the wider bid team all tender documents and submission requirements, ensuring all commercial deliverables are identified to ensure an accurate and compliant tender return
- Attending Mid tender and Post tender interviews as required.
- Implement and Manage tendering of specialist sub-contract package works as necessary to support the tender bid. Including identification of appropriate supply chain partners and comprehensive evaluation of returned quotations.
- Ensuring compliance with McLaren Estimating procedures, including use of Estimating software.
- Manage the preparation and issuing of RFI’s (Request for Information) to the Client / Architect.
- With support from the Estimating coordinator effectively manage all commercial elements of the tender process including arranging key meetings with the presence of Estimators, Planners and Regional Director(s).
- In association with the team compile project preliminaries that are reflective of the programme, logistics, and commercial strategy.
- In association with the Estimating Director devise a commercial strategy that maximises the chances of success while retaining a sustainable out-turn margin.
- Facilitate Tender Handover meetings in the presence of the wider bid team and project team. Prepare commercial documents for tender handover to projects team.
- Provide support and assistance to project teams during 2nd stage PCSA as required.
- Contributing and maintain internal company benchmark data, including feedback to Supply Chain managers on supply chain performance at the end of each tender.
- Support development of junior members of the team.
- Assist in the development and implementation of department processes to maintain a cohesive and streamlined approach to tendering activities and other business functions.
Qualifications / Experience:
- HNC/HNC/Degree related to construction and the built environment.
- Extensive experience in single-stage, 2-stage and negotiated tender opportunities across a wide range of sectors specifically Commercial, Residential, Hotels and Student Accommodation in the value range of £20m+£100m+.
- Experience of tendering under Framework agreements would be beneficial.
- Computer literate with a good working knowledge of Microsoft packages.
- Knowledge of Conquest Estimating Software would be advantageous.
- Good knowledge and experience of first principles estimating & tendering labour only Sub-contract packages would be beneficial.
- A valid CSCS card.
- Have a good working knowledge of pricing and quantification methods.
- Have strong interpersonal and communication skills, coupled with an ability to form effective relationships with partners under time pressure.
- Have a desire to continuously pursue innovation and development of our tenders including reviewing alternative methods of construction all with a focus on the customer.